“For the body is one and has many parts, and all the parts of that body, though many, are one body – so also is Christ.” (1 Corinthians 12:12)
Church Membership Overview
|Church membership is a gift to the life of a believer and the health and mission of a church. For the individual believer it is a blessing to be united with other believers in sharing life together, growing together, serving together and strengthening one another. For the church as a whole it is an amazing picture for the local community and world to see when people from various backgrounds, cultures, and generations with different talents, skills, and passions come together as a unified body for one purpose: making much of Jesus!||
The church is not, and was never intended by Jesus, to be a place where believers come to be served or entertained like a country club. Of course, there may be seasons of life that are harder than others and believers may need the support or ministry of the church and its members, but church membership is not like that of a civic organization or club. “With a country club membership you pay others to do the work for you. With church membership, everyone has a role or function.”* Modeling this for believers, Jesus declared that even He “didn’t come to be served, but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many.”**
Therefore, Church Membership is a responsibility where each individual believer works to exercise their membership in such a way that Jesus is loved and honored in all things, His purpose is their purpose and the fame of His Kingdom is their primary passion and goal.
Responsibilities of Membership
Functioning members of Bethany Baptist Church understand and agree with the vision of church and the doctrine by which we stand. In working to live within and carry out the vision and mission of our church, members agree to:
1. Love Jesus and lead others to do the same.
2. Continue to grow in faith and understanding, and lead their family to do the same.
3. Pray for our church – its pastors and leaders, members and health as a church.
4. Encourage others – believers, members, visitors, neighbors, coworkers, classmates, etc.
5. Work toward the advancement of Bethany as a healthy and unified church.
6. Intentionally help others grow in their faith (whether through mentoring, discipleship, friendly counsel, missions, teaching, leadership, etc.).
7. Participate in the mission and vision of Bethany.
8. Participate in the sacraments of faith (Baptism and Lord’s Supper) in good conscience.
9. Help strengthen the church and help in the equipping of its members.
10. Seek to be a blessing to others – in and out of the church.
11. Intentionally love our neighbors, city and surrounding communities.
12. Give with a gracious and excited heart.
Requirements for Membership
There are a few requirements necessary in order to become a member of Bethany Baptist Church:
1. Must be a practicing believer (Acts 4:12, Romans 10:8-13)
2. Must be baptized (Romans 6:2-4) - To learn more about baptism, why we practice it, or to arrange a time to be baptized contact one of our Pastors.
3. Understand and agree with Bethany’s Purpose and Vision and commit to join with us in those efforts
4. Understand and agree with the doctrinal beliefs of Bethany
5. Complete our New Members’ Class
6. Be granted membership by our congregation
How to Become a Member of Bethany
We are excited you are considering joining our church family! The first step to becoming a member of Bethany is contacting either Pastor Phil or Pastor Christian. They will set up a time to meet with you, answer any questions you might have and schedule your New Member class.
To learn more about church membership, checkout some of these articles:
*Thom S. Rainer, “What Does It Mean to Be a Church Member,” (Facts and Trends, Summer 2013)